Marble is a unique natural stone that is well-known for its compatibility with effective construction-friendly properties. They are used for their immense durability feature and vast aesthetic appeal. These are in popular demand and are used extensively in various applications due to easy accessibility. These are used to curate tables, countertops, flooring, bars, furniture, showers, fireplaces, backsplashes, among other such utilities. These are a well sought-after stone variety that is resilient and whose application in any setting would serve to enhance the aesthetic of the place. However, buffing marble floors is one aspect that can get complicated, given that the maintenance and upkeep require considerable effort and attention. These are susceptible to breakages if proper care is not exerted while handling them.
Given below are some common mistakes in this regard that that must be avoided while cleaning them that need to be optimized prior to buffing marble floors that adorn your premises:
- Mopping: The use of an entirely drenched mop must be avoided while wiping spills or stains off of one’s marble tiles since such a practice might allow water from the cloth to seep into the spongy and permeable surface of the marble and get stuck here. Instead, one can opt for a dry or damp mop; it is important to use deionised water that incurs less damage to marble surfaces. Due to the porous nature of marble, any spills must be wiped right away to avoid staining or permanent discolouration.
- Dry Cleaning: Marble is known to be a porous stone that is susceptible to liquid and solvent absorption; thus, it is advisable to avoid usage of sponges, cloths or mops that have been dipped into any kind of oily, waxy or wet agent that would prove to damage the marble permanently.
- Solvents: It is pertinent to note that your marble floors should not be cleaned using random store-bought cleaning products since there is a chance that they consist of alkalis, acids or chemicals that might inflict significant damage to natural, permeable stones. Instead, use distilled or deionised water and neutral stone soap or cleaners with a pH7.00, white spirit, and about 2% non-ionic detergent to clean your marble floors. This solvent would suitably keep your marble in top condition and ensure more extended durability.
- Homemade Remedies: It is not advisable to use homemade remedies with the likes of vinegar, lemon, ammonia or milk for your marble floor’s cleaning since these can adequately destroy the marble tiles due to their high alkaline constitution.
- Water Usage: Water should not be used as the single ingredient towards marble stone cleaning measures since they can make it look unappealing and dull with time—instead neutral or non-acidic solvents to keep them in top condition.
- Sealing Marble Floors: It is crucial that the marble floors are not left untreated post-installation since this leaves them vulnerable and exposed to increased destruction and staining. Delay in sealing would serve to be a waste of resources if some unfortunate blemish occurs on the marble. Further, a good quality sealant will ensure that the marble remains strong and in immaculate condition for a long time.
- Protection And Precaution: Ensure that you do not place heavy furniture directly upon the marble’ surface over longer durations; these can cause permanent abrasions and sketches on the surface. Use mats, rugs or carpets as a buffer here to lessen pressure exerted on the marble.
- Abrasive Materials: Take care that you are not deploying the use of abrasive material or household cleaning supplies to clean the floss. Since these are not designed for such a purpose, they can incur significant damage to the tiles that will be visible over a long time.
- Buffing Marble Floors: buffing or polishing is an essential aspect of marble maintenance; while this might not be necessitated by many, it serves the primary purpose of keeping your floors shiny and exuberant in the long run.
- Vigilant Maintenance: Ensure that you are making efforts towards timely maintenance with parrying in the tasks; quick action is the best maintenance measure to circumvent permanent damage and discolouration of the marble floors.
The pointers as mentioned above are common mistakes that one must be aware of and consciously avoid while engaging in a clean-up before starting the buffing marble floors of your home.